Does sports nutrition play a role in elite young athletes?
Sports Nutrition can play an essential role in the health of elite young athletes as well as exercise performance. Children and adolescents need adequate energy intake to ensure proper growth, development, and maturation. In addition, the requirements may further increase with increasing exercise training.
For example, younger athletes generally rely more on fat as a fuel, have smaller glycogen stores and have a limited glycolytic capacity. This would imply reduced carbohydrate requirements but a greater capacity to oxidize fat. There are also differences in thermoregulation, although the exact impact on fluid requirements is not clear.
Why is nutrition important for young athletes?
To facilitate growth and development, the daily protein requirements per unit body weight are higher for children than for adults, but it is unclear whether child athletes need more protein than their inactive counterparts for normal growth and development and for optimal performance
Children require more energy than do adolescents or adults during sports activities that include walking or running, and possibly in other activities.
What are the protein needs for young athletes?
Athletes fall into a slightly different category than the typical non-exerciser. An athlete uses protein primarily to repair and rebuild muscle that is broken down during exercise and to help optimizes carbohydrate storage in the form of glycogen.
Although many individuals associate it with muscle building, the benefits of protein go beyond bulking up. Protein contributes to brain health, improves blood sugar levels and even protects against age-related cognitive decline.
Your downloadable sports nutrition meal plans includes:
Learn how to prepare for your workouts so you can get the maximum benefits from hard training. Start today and order your own sports nutrition and hydration program.
Here is a list of your online sports nutrition products:
Each one of these products comes in a pdf. file so you can place them on your computer
- Why young athletes need a sports nutrition plan?
- What are the 15 best protein foods you can eat to build muscle
- Your Sports Nutrition & Hydration Questionnaire
- Make your own home nutrition plan
- How to use your daily food diary?
- Easy to make snacks for young athletes
- 4-great benefits from protein intake
- Easy Snacks to make for young athletes
- Why eating balanced meals should be your goal?
- What are the health benefits of eating oranges for young athletes?
- Why young athletes need protein?
- Some of the best post workout nutrition meals
- What is the deal with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
- The 10 best foods for muscle growth for young athletes to consume
- Some of the best post workout supplements for you
- Why chocolate milk is the best recovery drink for athletes?
- Eat the best proteins for your athletic body
- If you need to bulk up we have the nutrition plan for you #1 & #2
- Basic sports nutrition information for parents and young athletes
- How to find the right amount of water intake for your young athlete